Week 14: Missionary Profile

Missionary Profile

Name: Sister Hiatt (pronounced Hai-ACH, EYE-chee, HIE-tch, etc)

Time in mission: 3 months (but only half in Brazil)

What I miss the most: Baked goods. Don't get me wrong, the members are very good to us and I'm not hurting for sugar. We get a ton of ice cream, and plenty of pudding and other deliciousness besides. But sometimes you just really want a cookie, you know? Also my family. Miss them too.

Weirdest experience: So one of my first days here my companion stopped at a little roadside stall thingy and said some things and the man there pulled out two big ol' sticks and worked them into a machiney-thingy and turned a wheel super duper fast and out the other end came some kind of liquid, dripping into a carefully placed bottle, out of which we then drank. I don't have a clue what kind of wood it was but the juice stuff tasted good, so....

Biggest surprise: It does in fact get a tiny bit chilly here sometimes. Now I know that most of you are burried under three feet of snow and that the mercury in the thermometers has frozen over, but like, I had to put a blanket on my bed one time (and it stayed there the whole night and I didn't die of heat stroke)! One day I was in a cardigan AND my rain jacket and was still chilly. In Brazil! Who knew?

Favorite part: Almoço (lunch)! Kidding. My favorite part of serving a mission is reading the Book of Mormon with people and talking about the doctrine. It's easier to speak when I have words in front of me and the Spirit is always so strong. Last night we read part of Alma 32 (the part that compares the word of God to a seed and explains how it can grow) with a teen we've been teaching for a while. He says he's been praying to know if the Church of Jesus Christ is true and what he should do, but he doesn't think he's received an answer yet. We've been trying to help him recognize the Spirit more and I think last night helped some.

I've learned so much here and I'm starting to get the hang of the language (mais ou menos). I love the people we're teaching and I know that this is the Lord's work. I'm grateful for my role in it and I know He's helping my each day to become the person He needs me to be.

With love,
Sister Hiatt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 36: AS AGUAS DO BATISMO

Week 8: Eu Não Falo Português.... (muito bem)

Week 28