Week 2 Gettin' Wild

Ola!

If you'd prefer not to receive these emails every week, or if you know someone else who would like to receive them, let me know and I'll update my email list. You can also follow the story on www.sisterhiattsadventures.blogspot.com (I think... Mom, is that right?).

Minhas companieras! From the left: me, Sister Miller, and Sister Jones.
We're so studious that we definitely took 20 minutes out of
study time to take ridiculous pictures. Bonding! (also
I'm really hoping y'all can see these... I'm technologically
 handicapped so I'm not sure they'll actually go through)
I think I'm starting to get used to the MTC! This week was amazing for about a million reasons. Tuesday we had a devotional where we heard from Gary E. Stevenson (you know, the apostle?) and it was so neat! He taught about how adventurers have a physical survival kit with matches and food and a tarp, but we need to have a spiritual survival kit with the scriptures, PMG (our missionary manual, basically) and stuff. It was really cool to hear from him.

My Portuguese has gotten a ton better and while I don't understand everything (not even close. Not even, like, half honestly) but I can communicate (for the most part) and it's a lot less frustrating. I know I'm getting better because I can now say "Ola Consada, eu sou Sister Hiatt" when the Elders mention being tired, and that's all I really need to know. I have two teachers, Irma Dutra e Irmao Haymore. Irma Dutra is from Brazil and learned English serving a mission on Temple Square in Utah. Irmao Haymore is from North Carolina so he has a fun accent when he speaks English (which is not very often) but he served in Brazil. They're super awesome and I love learning from them. The Elders in my district are all really fun and I always enjoy going to class with them. It's been a little weird not having a companion in class, but the other Elders have been really inclusive and I have a lot of opportunities to practice and study with other companionships. We've been trying to start lessons and teach each other about faith (in Portuguese) and it's only slightly terrifying.
Goofiness while "studying"

We did service Wednesday morning which was actually really fun. We polished all the wooden podiums and pianos and stuff in one of the bigger buildings (the one with the cafeteria... S1, I think?) and then we got to polish the doorknobs. It was awesome.

Some of y'all have asked about Thanksgiving, and I'm really looking forward to it. We'll get to go to two different Devotionals, and we (the choir) are singing a swanky arrangement of Let Zion in Her Beauty Rise for one of them. Rumor has it another apostle is coming to speak but we'll see (it is Utah, after all). We get the big fancy turkey dinner (or at least rolls and green bean casserole for any resident vegetarians) and then I think we're doing a service project, which sounds so fun. It'll be different for sure and I'll miss being home, but I am so excited to spend the holiday at the MTC.

The temple is so amazing! The one in Provo has pretty
groovy architecture. I like how it's round.
We got to go to the temple this morning which was wonderful. Last week we woke up early and went to the 6:40 session (which was ridiculously early and I was not a fan (of the time, not the temple (I'm always a fan of the temple))) but this morning we went a little later which I preferred. I love being so close and getting to go each week. It's definitely a spiritual boost in an already spiritually packed week.

I love my companions and we're getting along well, although there have been some ups and downs. Companionship inventory (basically a DTR with the companions) is probably actually maybe a good thing and we might have kinda maybe sorta put it off a little too long. Anyway. We're doing well and they're really sweet. Sister Miller is from Georgia and is serving in Florianopolis, Brazil, and she can lick her elbow. Sister Jones is from Arizona and is serving in Londrina, Brazil, and wrote and performed a song about all her bad dates at BYU. They're both really fun and I enjoy being around them, and they're definitely very patient with me. I've learned a lot from them and I'm so grateful to have them with me here at the MTC. All but one of my roommates and most of theirs are leaving to go to their missions this week, so I'll get to actually move into their room with them, which will make things a lot easier.

From the left: Irma Dutra, me, Elder Uluiviti, Elder Shelley, Elder MacFarlane, Elder Wright, Elder Phelps, and Elder Bastian. Apparently we're not supposed to take pictures with only one person of either gender (even if it's a whole group of people?) so we had to find a time when Irma Dutra could take it with us. Anyway. This is my district, and one of our teachers. We're all going to Brazil (though different parts) except for Elder Uluiviti who is going to Boston.
Walking home after class with the Elders Bastian (they're cousins)

I love you all! Thank you for your support. I have time to read emails most evenings and I love hearing from y'all, both on Monday and throughout the week. It's been a blessing to hear from home so much. I hope everyone has an awesome Thanksgiving!

Sister Hannah Hiatt

P.S. Here's my mailing address for the next few weeks, in case you want to send me stuff....

Sister Hannah Hiatt
DEC18 BRA-SPS
2005 N 900 E Unit 240
Provo UT 84602

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 36: AS AGUAS DO BATISMO

Week 8: Eu Não Falo Português.... (muito bem)

Week 28