Week One Report

Hey everyone!

If you'd prefer not to receive these emails every week, or if you know someone who would like to receive them, let me know and I'll update my email list. You can also follow the story on www.sisterhiattsadventures.blogspot.com (I think... Mom, is that right?).

So I've survived my first week (almost... technically I still have until Wednesday). For those who don't know, I'll be spending about 6 weeks in the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah before heading down to Sao Paulo, Brazil to teach the gospel. For the next few weeks I'll be learning Portuguese and preparing to teach. So far it's been super fun and I've learned a ton! I'll be able to email every Monday, but I can read emails pretty much anytime while I'm in the MTC, so you can write me whenever. 

Now, all missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints have a companion, to keep each other safe and focused. Sometimes there's an odd number of missionaries, so they go out in groups of three. I'm in a trio. But the thing is, I was the only Sister who came in this week, so my companions have each been here longer and are in higher level classes/different districts. They're each the only Sister in their districts, so we're a trio of solo missionaries. That's been fun to get used to. Their room was also full when I got there so I sleep next door with five different Sisters. They're really nice and super fun so it's been good getting to know them. It's a little frustrating at times because my companions are already used to each other and I don't get to spend a lot of time with them, but we're making it work. They're really sweet Sisters and we have fun together. 

My district consists of five Elders (a companionship and a trio), and me. It's actually really fun being around them; they're all so funny and nice, although there have been many times where I've had to get them to refocus on studying. It's a little awkward sometimes being the only girl, but then I've also had to deal with that my whole life, so I mean, it's not like I'm not used to it. 

Portuguese is difficult but it's coming a lot faster than I expected. We learn it in class pretty much all day and we're encouraged to use it as much as we can outside of class as well. I can now introduce myself, bear my testimony, and pray without too many hiccups. My district and my companions have already gotten annoyed with how often I say "desculpe" (sorry), but it's almost natural now to use the Portuguese word so I call that a win.

It's harder than I expected and there have been some rough times already, but I'm learning and growing so much and I know that by the end of these six weeks I'll be ready to go forth and serve, even if I don't always feel like it. 

I love you all and I miss you!

Sister Hannah Hiatt



P.S. Here's my mailing address for the next few weeks, in case you want to send me stuff.... Postage to Utah is an awful lot cheaper than to Brazil. Just putting that out there

Sister Hannah Hiatt
DEC18  BRA-SPS
2005 N 900 E Unit 240
Provo UT 84602

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 36: AS AGUAS DO BATISMO

Week 8: Eu Não Falo Português.... (muito bem)

Week 28