Week 19: In Which There Are Miracles

So I mentioned last week that I got a new companion, and I would like to take a little more time this week to introduce her. Her name is Sister K. Souza from Mato Grosso, Brasil, and she is actually an angel. Seriously. Like, if you crossed Mary Poppins with Jesus Christ and made the child Brazilian, you'd get my companion. She's awesome. She's a Sister Training Leader, which means sometimes she goes on splits (trades companions for a day) to help and teach the other Sister missionaries improve. This is awesome because it means I a) have an expert for my companion (of course, she's super humble and always denies it: "There's always more to learn") and b) get to meet other Sisters, too, which is always fun.

Sunday morning we were waiting outside the house of an investigator who promised to come to church with us, but after ringing the bell, clapping, and calling (in Brasil not all the houses have doorbells so we're in the habit of just yelling out people's names), it looked like he wasn't going to come. It was at this moment that Sister K. Souza suggested saying a prayer. We prayed and literally right after she said "please let Emanuel come to church today" we heard something from inside. She said "amen" right as the door opened, and there he was, all ready to go, in a white shirt and everything. It was honestly a miracle.

Speaking of church, I had an adventure yesterday. For those who don't know, the members are asked to give 10-15 minute long talks in the main meeting, and Saturday morning I got a call from the Bishop asking me to speak. The day before. *After* study time had passed. I had next to no time to prepare, but after praying and fasting and doing what I could, I went to the pulpit with a 1st Nephi 4:6 approach, letting the Spirit guide my words. It was the second-least prepared I'd ever been for a talk but with the help of God it went well. I found the words and explained clearly, and even though my Português is not quite perfect yet, I was able to communicate what I think the ward needed to hear. It was yet another miracle and just another example of what God can do through us when we are willing and worthy.

I hope everyone has an awesome week (and for those buried under a million feet of snow, I hope you're grateful. It was so awfully hot the other day, and when people offer us drinks in the street, it's always juice, which has so much sugar it's really not good for hydration. Kidding. It's actually perfect here, pleasantly warm and it's only raining torrents in the afternoon instead of the call-up-Noah-and-start-collecting-animals downpour it was last week. In short, I'm loving it.

Love y'all, miss y'all, that's all.

Sister Hiatt

P.S. If you have an extra roll of duct tape lying around, there's a girl in Brasil who would love to take it off your hands for you

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 36: AS AGUAS DO BATISMO

Week 8: Eu Não Falo Português.... (muito bem)

Week 28