Week 5: In Which I Receive Travel Plans


Sister Jones got us matching necklaces! They say,
"Choose Joy." Isn't she the sweetest?
If you'd prefer not to receive these emails every week, or if you know someone else who would like to receive them, let me know and I'll update my email list. You can also follow the story on www.sisterhiattsadventures.blogspot.com

Hey y'all! How has your week been? I'm definitely getting used to life at the MTC, and I've gotten so close with the people here. I'm so grateful to have this opportunity, and especially to go to Brazil to keep teaching and serving. Speaking of which, I still haven't heard about my visa directly, but we received our travel plans this week, so presumably we're in the clear! Two other Elders and I will be flying to Georgia and then directly to Sao Paulo next Monday. Crazy, right? I've learned a ton but honestly I don't feel even a little ready. It'll be good, though. Hopefully.

Sister Jones and me living it up on her last night
(I promise we're keeping the Word of Wisdom! It's grape
juice  (unfermented (just to clarify (there's not even,
like, caffeine, so we're good))))
Portuguese is getting better. This week we had a Skype visit with a member in Portugal, which was awesome. She was super sweet and we actually understood most of what she was saying (shocker, right? I guess we are learning). There was one story that we had to ask her to repeat, but apart from that we were golden. It was a really good experience and I gained a lot of confidence from it, although I've still got a long way to go. We've also been teaching our teachers (in role-plays) which have been really amazing. The Spirit is always so strong and it helps both my language skills and my testimony to get an opportunity to teach the gospel. I know it's true with all my heart and I can't wait to go out and help other people receive the same happiness.

The whole room! Sister Christensen has the pretty red hair,
and Sister Petersen is in the cute UP girls' camp shirt
We got new roommates on Wednesday! Sister Christensen is from Utah and is going to Goiania, Brazil, and Sister Petersen is from New York and is going to Sao Paulo north (which is wild because I'm going to Sao Paulo south, so like, we're neighbors). They're really fun and very excited to serve. They're picking up on Portuguese really fast and it's a little intimidating... I would not be surprised if they spoke better Portuguese than me, which is scary because they've been here not quite a week and I've been here over a month, but that's fine. They're super sweet and we have fun together, which is good because Sister Jones left this morning and otherwise I'd be very lonely. We had a wild party last night (during which she frantically packed and we tried not to get in the way), and then I helped her get her things ready this morning (at like 4) and then she was gone. I'm really going to miss her. She is so confident and smart and funny, and the people in Londrina, Brazil will be so lucky to have her. Anyway, she left this morning, but I haven't heard anything about a new companion... So far today I've tagged along with the new Sisters. It looks like the last bit of my MTC experience and the first bit will both be spent in a trio, with a break in the middle where I had a normal companion (if you can call Sister Jones normal (ha)). Anyway. That'll be fun to get re-used to.

Elder Wright, Elder McFarlane, Sister Jones, and me being goofy after church Sunday
Something I thought about this week was that sometimes God withholds revelation not because He doesn't want us to know or even because He doesn't trust us, but because He loves us and sometimes we just aren't ready. We will be judged based on what we know and believe, and often we aren't prepared to implement what we ask for. So in order to prevent us from being judged too harshly, He waits until we're ready to act on the knowledge He'll give us. So sometimes it seems like prayers aren't answered when really He's just waiting for us to want answers badly enough to commit to change our lives based on what we receive. That said, God won't leave us alone to deal with the rough spots in life. Alma 36:3 says "Whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day." This scripture (and so many others) really testify of God's love for us, and how much He's willing to do to help us. I love God and I know He loves me and supports me through my trials.

Tcau tcau, irmão! Until next week

Sister Hannah Hiatt
Here's my district (minus Elder Bastian and Elder Phelps,
whom we lost at some point) and my roommates at the temple this morning

P.S. Here's my mailing address for the next week, in case you want to send me stuff.... just do it quickly because if all goes well I'll be in Brazil next week and probably will maybe have a slightly different address

Sister Hannah Hiatt
DEC17 BRA-SPS
2005 N 900 E Unit 240
Provo UT 84602

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 36: AS AGUAS DO BATISMO

Week 8: Eu Não Falo Português.... (muito bem)

Week 28