Week 8: Eu Não Falo Português.... (muito bem)

So it´s been about two weeks in Brasil now, and boy-oh-boy it´s been a time. A good time, of course, but there have been some things to get used to. Like the language, for example. Fun fact: the people in Brasil speak Portuguese (also the keyboards are slightly different so please forgive any weird punctuation). And not only do they speak Portuguese, but they speak it quickly and about lots of different things using about a billion different words and the´re strung so tightly together that by the time you remember what the first word means they've finished the sentence. I've definitely been learning, though, and now I sometimes actually understand the gist of what people are saying. I have learned some new phrases, though. If you are ever invited to lunch in Brasil, try some of these phrases:

Eu não estou com muito fome ~ I am starving*
Apenas um poco mais ~ Pile it on, please
Desculpa, estou cheia! ~ I haven´t eaten in a week, please give me more food
Se eu como um outro bocado eu vou explodir ~ The amount of food you give me is a measure of your faith in Christ. Keep my plate full
Paré, paré! Não posso comer mais! Vai-tê, Satanás! ~ Who´s ready for dessert?

The church members we have lunch with are all very generous.... they may have to roll me back home to the States because of all the food. It´s good though so I can´t complain. All the people here are so nice (even that one drunk biker who tried to hug me, and the guy who had a thing for blue eyes, and the lady who just kind of sat outside her house singing to her teddy bear), and although not everyone is interested in the gospel, usually they´ll at least talk to us. Or at least, to my companion (I don´t do much talking).

Have I told yáll about her, by the way? Her name is Sister Gomes and she´s a native Brasileiro who joined the church two years ago. She´s super awesome and very patient. The first week was pretty rough because we really couldn´t communicate, but it´s better now. I´ve gotten pretty snappy with my dictionary.

So I only have an hour each week to read and respond to all emails, so please don´t be offended if I don´t respond... I love you, I promise, I just don´t have time. I´m serving the Lord and learning and growing, and I wouldn´t have it any other way.

Love yáll and miss you!

Sister Hannah Hiatt

(*Note from the editor - please look the Portuguese sentences up in Google translate if you don't understand them... I about died laughing!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 36: AS AGUAS DO BATISMO

Week 28