Week 9: Chocolate Pizza and Banana Splits (Minus the Banana)

It's been three full weeks and I finally found the apostrophe on the keyboards! (Thanks Elder Wright... it's been keeping me up at night) So I think I've finally settled into a routine here. We study the scriptures all morning, we have lunch with a member (and I always eat waaaay too much), and we talk with people in their homes and in the streets about Christ until it's dark and my feet feel like they're about to fall off. It's a pretty a-okay life.

This week was wild, though, because we got to do Splits, which is where you swap companions for a day. I spent the day with a sweet Sister in the next town over, which was awesome because we had lunch and spent the evening with another companionship who lived in the same apartment (four girls in one house. It was like BYU-I all over again, except in Portuguese). Also one of the other girls was from the States and we were able to talk about some things, and she understood my position a little better than the other girls. We may have cheated and spoken in English a little but it was worth it. It was an awesome day (and it helped me to appreciate Sister Gomes more as well).

So last week I mentioned how much I ate, but I thought y'all should know exactly what I've been eating. Rice and beans is standard and we have it for pretty much every meal, but there are some other things that are different (and mostly really good). Like the potato lasagna (which is basically just layers of potato, ham, and cheese). Or the pastries filled with random things (usually meat and cheese, but I tried one filled with cheese and jam, which was weirdly good). Or the mint juice I tried on a dare and managed not to spew (be proud). But I think my favorite of all is the pizza. The toppings are pretty much the same here, but in the outer rim, inside the crust, they put in chocolate. So basically it's the best thing ever and I love it.

Beyond that we had New Years (but I slept through the fireworks because I was exhausted), I may have gotten a little sick (not *really* sick but enough to have a fun evening), and I fed a goat (like, out of my hand. Yes, I still have that hand. Thought I should clarify). I'm learning more and sometimes I actually understand what people say (when they speak slowly and clearly and about things that are either gospel related or really basic). It's still hard but I know the Lord is helping me and I've had a ton of sweet, spiritual experiences. I know the church is true and I want to help everyone receive the joy that comes from knowing that as well.

Love you all! Hope y'all have an awesome week

Sister Hannah Hiatt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 36: AS AGUAS DO BATISMO

Week 8: Eu Não Falo Português.... (muito bem)

Week 28