Week 22: In Which We Watch General Conference

So I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I really love General Conference. Like, seriously. It's the best. Any time you get to hear from an apostle of God is awesome (and I've gotten to hear from two separate ones in person in the last 5 months... #brag), but when they're all together and giving talks and the Spirit gets so strong... aaaah. I can't even describe how amazing it is. It was a little different this time because I watched in Portuguese and the translator for Elder Uchtdorf didn't have an awesome German accent, but overall it was just a really good weekend. I felt there was a big emphasis on missionary work (in the family, in the field, and on the other side of the veil) and I definitely took some things away that I will be putting into practice.

My favorite talk (even without the accent) was Elder Uchtdorf's. He gave five steps of how we can be better missionaries. The first is to love God and study His doctrine. When we understand that the commandments are guidelines given by a loving father to help us learn, and especially when we love God and want to draw closer to Him, the gospel takes on a new meaning. It isn't a list of rules we have to grudgingly follow; it's a blessing. When we love God and trust Him, we are better grounded and better prepared to share the gospel.

The second great commandment is to love your neighbor, and this is especially true for missionary work. When you have something special, you want to share it with the people you care about, right? When we view God and His doctrine as something special, we should develop a desire to share it with the people around us so that they can experience the joy and one day experience eternal life with their families. When we love those around us, it is so much more natural to share the special things in our life (like the gospel).

The other three steps can be summarized into one: Share the gospel. Do what Christ would do, be an example, share what's in your heart, and trust the Holy Ghost to touch the hearts of those around. If you're doing the best you can, trying to be worthy, you will be a vessel that He can do to do His work. Place your confidence in God and follow Him without fear.

God has restored His church again to the earth. We don't have to have confusion and darkness. If we follow Him in faith, heeding the counsel of the prophets (scriptural and modern), and repent each day, we can have joy in this life and the world to come. I know that God loves us and wants us to return to Him. I'm so grateful to be learning more each and every day, and my testimony really is growing. I know that this church is true. I love the Book of Mormon and the Bible, and I love that we can receive individualized answers to our earnest prayers. The Holy Ghost is so powerful and I love having Him as such a huge part in my life. This gospel really is a blessing.

Love you all!

Sister Hannah Hiatt

P.S. Send me your Conference notes (and a bowl of ice cream)

Sister Hannah Hiatt
Av Dr. Luís Rocha Miranda, 159
8º Andar
Jabaquara
04344-010 São Paulo - SP
Brazil

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 36: AS AGUAS DO BATISMO

Week 8: Eu Não Falo Português.... (muito bem)

Week 28