Week 56: Challenge Accepted

So we're teaching this guy and he's pretty cool. His name is Anderson and he is an atheist. Now, there aren't a ton of atheists here in Brasil, and most of the ones we've met have been either slightly rude or politely disinterested in the gospel, but this guy is different. He lets us talk with him and teach and stuff, and every time we challenge him to do something, he does it (que significa que ele é menos mole do que a maioria de nossos pesquisadores, embora não acreditar em Deus). So he's been praying pretty much every day (even though he hasn't yet really felt the Spirit) and he went to church last week, and he watched the restoration video (you know, the one that's like an hour and a half long). So one day we were talking about stuff, and I was explaining that all these things are important because they prepare us to make covenants with God, like baptism. I then challenged him to prepare to be baptized. He had accepted all our other challenges until that day, and this was no different. He was like, "okay, what do I need to do?"

I honestly wasn't expecting him to accept so easily. I figured that he was just messing with us, so I marked a date and told him about the interview, to see if he'd be put off, but he said "sure thing." So we literally called our LD in front of him and asked him to come do the interview that same day. And Anderson was like, "okay, I'll do it."

It was almost like a game of chicken, trying to see who'd back down first, but he always accepts our challenges so he went with it.

He was asked if he believed in God (the first question in the interview) and he was like, "there's gotta be something out there, it may as well be God. I don't *not* believe in Him." That wasn't exactly what we were anticipating but we went with it. He said he believed in the restoration, too, and was willing to keep the commandments. I don't think he understood all the implications of baptism but he was willing to keep going to church and learning. He's got some questions and a few doubts (and he's still developing a testimony of a God who is our Eternal Father and not just an infinite force) but he's pretty cool.

So he's not quite ready to be baptized but he's sure progressing.

I don't know what else y'all would like to know. This week was kinda weird. I went to the Federal Police (which technically is in another mission and was a pretty long trip) but something went wrong and I *still* haven't received my ID thing here (and my visa will expire in about two weeks and I won't receive the new one until January so I might be here illegally for a little but the guys in the mission office have assured me that they'll take care of everything, no problem). They don't celebrate Thanksgiving here and my parents were too busy eating pie to talk to me so it was just a normal day.

I think that's it. Love y'all!
Sister Hiatt

I didn't actually take any pictures this week so please enjoy these repeats




(I was so skinny when I got here! Also my trainer is going home in two weeks. I got to see her this week and it was a neat experience to see how we've changed)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 36: AS AGUAS DO BATISMO

Week 8: Eu Não Falo Português.... (muito bem)

Week 28